2009-06-27

New hardware

If I keep this up, some day I may be more metal than skin and bones.

Eleven years ago, I had my first and last MRI. I had torn my ACL while playing JV softball, and I had surgery to fix it. At the time, they used huge titanium screws to secure my new ligament in place. A few years later, they switched to screws that actually dissolve over time. But because I missed that boat, I still have those giant screws in my knee.

Now I have matching hardware in my head. The screws are a lot smaller, but there are a lot more than two.

When I visited my oral surgeon in Salt Lake on Thursday, these greeted me from the light board in my exam room:

My lovely skull. It's hard to see the screws and plates in this one ...

... so I took the liberty of pointing them out in this shot. Of course, I have matching plates and screws on the right side, but I was too lazy to duplicate the arrows and rotate them around.

Fun, huh?

So in case you haven't drawn the connection, I will never have another MRI unless I want all the metal in my body to be ripped out. I once saw something similar happen on House, and I don't want it to happen to me anytime soon. Or ever.