2009-06-03

Holy mandible, Batman!

Yesterday, Seth and I made a there-and-back trip to Salt Lake to visit with my oral surgeon and get my final workup done. Here's what we learned:

  • VF Factory Outlet rocks! Okay, obviously not related to our office visit, but we had some extra time to kill before the appointment. Between the two of us, we bought nine pairs of pants and paid $110 (including tax).
  • The procedures I will be having done next Monday are a maxillary lefort I osteotomy (upper jaw) and bilateral sagittal osteotomy (lower jaw).
  • I will be on a liquid diet for the first week following the surgery, but after Dr. Egbert checks out my recovery progress and removes my bands for the first time, I will be able to eat soft foods like Jell-O, yogurt, pudding, macaroni and cheese and Spaghetti-Os.
  • My upper jaw will be moved 5 mm up, and my lower jaw will be moved 9 mm forward.
  • I should be able to return to my Primary chorister duties four to five weeks after the surgery.
  • The surgery itself will take about two hours.
  • I may experience nose bleeds and a sore throat following surgery, due to the tube that will be shoved through my nose and down my throat. Fun stuff. Gratefully, I will be out when they shove said tube through my face.
  • Apparently, I have freakishly big bumps underneath my tongue that interfere with impressions of my bottom jaw. This leads to a tremendous amount of pain as the dentist/orthodontist/oral surgeon pushes the impression tray down over my teeth. I wondered why that always hurt.
Anyway, those are the highlights. Now all we need to do is finish painting the living room/kitchen, put our house back together, buy Carnation Instant Breakfast and cranberry juice, pack our bags and go to Utah.

We will leave Sunday afternoon (June 7) and return Thursday (June 11). As mentioned before, we'll be sure to take pictures and post them. Bet you can't wait!