2009-06-09

Adventures in surgery

I could be blogging about so many other fun and cute things right now: Bekah's "birthday" where we got to eat her princess cake while I could still eat solid foods (to come in a later post), or our family trip to the zoo with Grandma Susan and Grandpa Dennis in celebration for both the girls' birthdays (also to come in a later post), but instead I'm going to blog about the not-so-fun and definitely-not-cute thing going on in our lives right now. My orthognathic surgery, that is.

Thanks to a great oral surgeon (who happens to be related to me) and the generosity and outpouring of love from so many family members and ward members, I didn't feel at all nervous about the surgery in the days leading up to it. Sure, I had a hard time sleeping the night before (how COULD you let me down, Benadryl?), but I think it was more because of anticipation than anxiety. And I did get a few butterflies when I got my IV, but who wouldn't?

Anyway, the surgery went "perfectly," according to the doctor. He ended up moving my upper jaw up an extra millimeter (for a total of six), but he moved the bottom jaw just the 9 mm he had planned on previously.

Right now I'm extremely grateful for two different flavors of Carnation Instant Breakfast and one flavor of Ensure, as well as the seven different flavors of juice we brought to Utah with us. I'm also grateful for syringes (so I can drink said liquids). And for medicine. Glorious medicine. Pain killers, anti-nausea medication, decongestants, mouth wash, hydrogen peroxide, antibiotics ... they're all on my happy list right now. (By the way, if this is at all disconnected or rambling, I'm blaming it on the hydrocodone I took 10 minutes ago.)

I'm also thankful for technology. Immediately after hearing from the surgeon, Seth called both his mom (in Idaho Falls) and my mom (currently in Texas) to let them know that everything went well. And I got to video chat with Rebekah today while my incredible mother-in-law watches our girls (Ana was napping). Although, when I saw "video chat," I mean "Seth chatted while I showed Bekah my swollen face and signed 'I love you' to her."

So all in all, it's going as well as can be expected. Seth and I will stay with my Uncle Ross and Aunt Susan (whom we can't thank enough) until Thursday when we will meet with the assistant surgeon who will make sure that everything is still where it's supposed to be. Then we'll drive home, spend the next four days at home, and then drive to Salt Lake and back next Tuesday for my first follow-up with the surgeon. At that point, I will be able to remove my bands for a short amount of time each day, brush behind my teeth and start eating soft foods.

Good times. Seth has taken some extremely gorgeous pictures of me in my puffy and half-out-of-it state, but I don't know that I'm brave enough to post them yet. You'll just have to use your imagination. Just be kind!