2014-07-25

Summer project: chair swing

When we moved into our house nine years ago, the previous owners had a wicker chair suspended on ropes in the back yard. That chair swing met its demise last year when it finally fell apart. Since then, I've been plotting to make a more durable chair swing to replace it.

I bought a kitchen chair from D.I., but that's as far as I got at that time. After that, we got our new puppy, and she thought the chair made a good chew toy. Gratefully, most of the chewing was done on the legs, which were cut off anyway.

The chair sat in the garage, then the shop, until I finally got the project underway. It took much longer than it should have because I've been distracted by numerous things, but today I drilled the holes, installed the hardware, put on many coats of clear finish, and called my dad to help me tie the knots. The girls tried out the finished product this evening.

I used the leftover paint from our front door, and of course I had to change the location of the swing so Peach wouldn't chew it. The swing is in our side yard next to the fire pit.

Bekah swings, Ana waits her turn, and Seth climbs the willow.

Winnie, who is usually has a healthy fear of swings, approved of this one.