Thing is, you've probably never heard of them before. What, you just assumed the greatest band in the world had to be American, didn't you? Or maybe British. Oh, I can tell. You can't hide your racism from me, grasshopper.
The greatest band on earth, just so happens to be from Guadalajara, Mexico. They are Maná.
Don't get me wrong; there are lots of other bands I love, both new and old: Led Zeppelin, Counting Crows, Neil Young and Crazy Horse, The Gaslight Anthem. But nothing in the realm of music distills upon my soul like the dews from heaven like Maná.
I remember the very first time I heard Maná. I was tracting with Elder Greer one evening, just around dark, in the little neighborhood over behind the HEB off 10th street in McAllen. We walked down the street, and suddenly I heard this heavenly sound drifting from around the corner. As we grew nearer, I saw two men sitting in the car, the doors open, their feet propped up in the open window, just enjoying the evening (and some probably-not-medicinal marijuana, but that's another story). I didn't listen to secular music on my mission, but I never forgot the incredible sounds I heard coming from that car's speakers that night.
A guy I baptized, Oscar, gifted me an album in my last area, which I carefully wrapped up and sent home to listen to in six months when my mission would be over.
Their songs deal with topics like love, illegal immigration, environmental activist Chico Mendez, drinking, and many, many others, their lyrics are poetic and their music sublime.
Whether or not you speak Spanish, I urge you to check them out. You won't be disappointed.
In closing, a small tribute of mine own to the greatest rock band in the world, Maná.
Me covering Maná's "En El Muelle De San Blas."