2008-11-25

Just shoot me

Aaah. Doctor's office visits. Such a peaceful time in Groverland.

Okay, so that's obviously a dream. But Analee did fare better during her 18-month checkup than she did with her 15-month checkup. Well, at least she didn't scream quite as loud as the doctor approached her.

Analee is turning out to be "long and lean," in the words of her pediatrician. She's about at the 44th percentile for weight and 88th for height. And her head is still huge ... off the charts but following her own curve. Our kids have huge brains, in case you didn't know.

But the most fun part came in the form of flu shots. I had asked that both girls get theirs while we were at the office, and Rebekah was kind enough to allow Ana to go first. I'm still not sure if that was the best idea, but it's too late now.

Ana didn't like lying down on the exam table, she didn't like having the nurse hold her little legs, and she really didn't like having the needle go in her thigh. But all it took to console her was a hug, a baba (pacifier), a teddy bear and a monkey blankie.

Then it was Bekah's turn. She REALLY didn't like lying down on the exam table, she REALLY didn't like having the nurse hold her legs, and she REALLY didn't like having the needle go in her thigh. As soon as the injection started, she screamed, "No! Stop! Get that thing outta me!" And then as the nurses made their exit, Bekah yelled after them: "No more shots! I'm not going to get ANY more shots!"

I told her we were finished, that she, indeed, would have no more shots, but I don't think she was listening. It took a lot more than a cuddle and a few comfort items to calm her down.

Thank goodness for stickers. On my way out, I picked out a few Wall-E stickers for the girls (who happened to be wearing their Wall-E shirts), and Bekah was shucking her coat in the waiting room to put Wall-E and Eve on top of the Wall-E and Eve on her shirt.

The trauma didn't stop at the office, though. Bekah was momentarily distracted by the sticker and a sucker in the van, but when she got home and had to go potty, I had to cover up the traumatic reminder of her traumatic shot--her Tweety Bird band-aid.

Good thing Bekah won't need any more shots for another year.