I didn't think I'd get as emotional as I did when Rebekah left home for the first time. I mean, her college is only 30 minutes away from our home, and we have text, email, Google Meet and a myriad of other ways to keep in touch. We were all excited for her to set out on this grand new adventure, but it still tugged at my heartstrings as we drove away and left her at her apartment for the first time.
Move in day was Saturday, September 9. I know it's been more than 20 years since we started as freshmen at Ricks College, but we still couldn't believe the differences between then and now. Our parents just dropped us off and we took care of campus business ourselves. Now there's a whole day of orientation for parents and students.
We showed up at Greenbrier, Rebekah's apartment complex (and the same one I lived in for three years) at 8 only to find out that the office wouldn't open until 9 a.m. We unloaded Rebekah's things onto the sidewalk and got in line to get a key. After receiving that, we helped her move everything up and in to her apartment and get things settled before we went to campus so Rebekah could meet with her student mentors and freshmen group and we could attend some parent meetings. After a parent and student meeting with the new president and his wife in the BYU-I Center, we met back up and said goodbye.
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)