I didn't want to wear the boots that gave me blisters on Union Falls, so I wore the boots I had used for years before Miriam adopted them. They kept pushing against the side of my foot in an annoying way, but I figured I could just deal with it. I did until I experienced several bouts of searing pain that made me dance about the trail. We stopped and I offered a prayer to help me make it the rest of the way. Rebekah traded boots with me, and I used a bandana to try and brace my ankle. It didn't hurt to put weight on it (I hadn't twisted anything), but the movement of the ankle is what would stop me in my tracks. I limped along slowly at first, then managed to speed it up to a regular walking pace until we made it back to the van.
As soon as I doffed the boots and put on my Chacos, my ankle was better. I still don't know what caused that scare, but in the weeks that followed if I wore shoes that touched the side of my foot by my ankle, I felt a dull pain.
Selfie at the beginning of the hike.
Rebekah registering us.
Rebekah at a cute little waterfall across from a cabin along the trail.
Selfie at the upper lake. We ate lunch next to the shore.
Selfie at the end of the hike.
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)