Although I told Seth that it couldn't be THAT bizarre (after all, I remember my bottom permanent teeth doing the same thing), he was skeptical at best. Finally I decided that it couldn't hurt to call the dentist's office.
The nice lady on the other end of the phone assured me that it wasn't uncommon for that to happen, but she did recommend that Bekah see the dentist because sometimes when the permanent tooth comes up behind, it makes it difficult for the baby tooth to come out.
Bekah was as happy as a clam as we went to the office. "I might get a tooth pulled!" I didn't tell her what that would entail (blood, pain, etc.) just in case it didn't have to come out today.
But the dentist deemed both front teeth worthy of extraction. So Bekah endured the numbing goop. (See how dentistry savvy I am so know such a technical term?) And then the needle came. She squirmed. She cried. She asked for it to stop. When the dentist came in and started moving the baby teeth around, Bekah could still feel it, so the needle came out again. "Not the needle again!" Bekah shrieked. This time around, it took a little more work to keep her still in the chair.
In the end, she survived the trip and came out better for it. Not only did she get to keep her baby teeth and a packet of gauze, but she also got a balloon, a ring and a snazzy tooth-shaped container to put her baby teeth in (one of which she has already lost).
The gaping holes where her teeth used to be. ::Shiver:: Honestly, I don't know how you do it, Jon (my older brother who is a dentist, for those of you who don't know). Even though she's my beautiful daughter, I REALLY don't like looking at those pits in her gums. Kinda gross.
Minus two baby teeth, but plus one permanent tooth. We hope it moves up where it's supposed to go.
Despite her sobbing at the dentist's office, she's all smiles now.