2011-04-13

Miri's 12-month checkup UPDATE

Who knew a 12-month checkup warranted an update?

Yesterday when I got home from chauffeur duties (picking Ana up from preschool, taking Bekah to dance, shopping and picking up Bekah from dance), I noticed that we had a message on our answering machine. I called the pediatrician's office back as they had asked and heard some surprising news. Apparently when the lab ran Miri's blood to check for lead poisoning (because our house was built in 1972), they saw that she's somewhat anemic.

What I don't understand is why that didn't crop up after the hospital's blood test from our recent ER visit. But hey ... maybe the hospital wasn't looking for that?

Anyway, it's a good thing Miriam is such a champ at taking medicine (unlike her eldest sister who always threw it up). We'll be supplementing her diet with iron for the next 30 days and then take her back in to the pediatrician's office to see if it's helping her.