2009-11-08

T to the M to the B to the G

Lots of people have bucket lists. A lot of them include lavish cruises, trips to Paris or sky diving.

I must say, I consider myself pretty easy to please. This past weekend, I was able to cross something off my bucket list. Seth and I got to see my favorite band in concert at The Depot in Salt Lake City.

For those who aren't familiar with my love for the band They Might Be Giants, you may read a little about of my infatuation here.

When I found out that TMBG would be coming to Salt Lake, I asked Seth if we could go. He readily agreed. See, I've brainwashed him to be a TMBG fan too. In fact, he knows several of the songs better than I do.

So we made a trip of it. We were, without a doubt, the only people at the concert that night who went here earlier in the day:

Seth standing next to Thomas Grover's headstone.

This is Seth's ancestor's grave in Farmington, Utah. Seth had never been there before, so we got directions
and took a side trip. Thomas was in the first high council of the Church, he was Joseph Smith's bodyguard, he was entrusted with the safety of Joseph's family while Joseph was in jail, he crossed the plains with Brigham Young in the advanced company, and he was in the first Utah legislature.

We also spotted this slightly odd headstone decor:

Turns out, the mother of the child buried here had written a note on the skull that explained a lot. Andrew had apparently loved Halloween, so his family decorated his headstone for the holiday.

We also spent a little time at Temple Square touring the Church's new Family History Library and checking out the Museum of Art and History, where we found this:

Part of the exhibit on the Tabernacle in the Museum.

My great-great-great-grandpa is Henry Grow. See the resemblance?

After an incredible dinner at Bombay House (if you live in Utah and have not yet experienced the goodness of Bombay House, I highly suggest you go there), we went back to downtown SLC, spent a considerable amount of time looking for legal parking, and made it to the concert.

The venue was very different from any other I've attended a concert in (all two of the previous concerts I've attended). For one thing, it's inside. And since we got there early enough (7 p.m.), we scouted out a very choice location for our viewing pleasure. Although Seth assured me that, if I chose, we could sit on a chair around the perimeter of the floor, I opted for us to stand for four hours about five feet away from the stage. And ... it ... was ... awesome.

Highlights:

We were right in front of John Linnell and his keyboard. I mean, RIGHT in front. We got to see every goofy face he pulled while playing and singing. We got to see him cover his cup to keep the confetti out. And we got to see him pick up a fan and blow the confetti off his keyboard later on.

We were also close enough to see John Flansburgh sing, play guitar and generally act like a kid with ADHD by walking all over the stage to do random things--fixing a mic stand here, moving instrument stands there, and playing with puppets and a video camera (along with Linnell).

This was a special Flood concert. For those not savvy, Flood is TMBG's album from 1990. It's a classic. Even those unfamiliar with the group might recognize some of the songs from this album: "Birdhouse in Your Soul," "Istanbul," "Particle Man" and "Twisting." So we got to hear every incredible song.

Aside from those, we also got to hear several non-Flood songs: "Meet the Elements," "Why Does the Sun Shine," "Why Does the Sun Really Shine," "Shooting Star," "Clap Your Hands," "James K. Polk" (yes, this band is cool enough to write songs about our past presidents, another geeky love of mine), "Cowtown," "Mesopotamians," and, although Seth thought it could never be performed live, "Fingertips."

Although we left our mommy camera in the van, Seth was so kind as to shoot these high-quality cell phone pics:

Flans on his Telecaster, Linnell on the keyboard.

John Linnell and his mad, super-awesome accordion skills. This, people, is why I play the accordion.

Marty (the drummer) playing the bells. Pay attention to those intrusive hands in the foreground ... we're coming to those next.

Lowlights:

Drunk people who feel the need to shout out responses to everything anyone on stage said. Like the girl who tried to carry on a conversation with the opening band. And the 6'-tall guys who, five minutes before the beginning of the concert, shoved their way through the crowd to butt in RIGHT in front those of us who had stood there for two hours previously to save our spots and contradicted EVERYTHING John and John said from the stage.

(You'll notice a common thread in the lowlights: most of them concern the aforementioned two guys.) Being elbowed by people who don't understand that we all had very little room to stand, let alone break into interpretive dance. I felt like I was back on the 8th grade basketball team boxing out my opponent all night because I had to strategically place my arms across my middle to protect myself from the jabs. And my poor, stomped on toes.

One more gripe: People who are mean to the performers. The blond tall guy picked up a handful of confetti that had fallen to the floor, waited until Flans was crouching down next to the edge of the stage, and hurled it at his head. Another concert-goer threw a glow stick on the stage and almost hit another band member.

But, as Seth says, the highlights WAY outweighed the lowlights. My nerdy little heart soared as we listened to and sang along with my band.

Now, for the next thing on my bucket list: learn to play the bagpipes.