That pretty much sums up Bekah's feelings about her first day of preschool. In fact, she uttered that just a few minutes ago as she colored the paper she brought home with her.
The "preschool" she's attending through the middle of January is actually part of the high school's parenting/child development class. Near the end of the semester, they arrange to have four-year-olds come in so the high school students can teach and interact with the young'uns.
I hadn't thought that preschool was a necessity, but back in August when Bekah told me about Mack (her cousin) going to preschool, she determined that it would be a great injustice if she couldn't go to a preschool too. So I contacted the high school's child development teacher, and she told us their program would start sometime in November.
In order to stave off Bekah's preschool hunger, I told her she would start after Halloween. For the next two months, she announced to anyone who would listen (and several who didn't ... those were primarily store clerks who didn't realize the squirt was addressing them) that she would start preschool after Halloween. So the DAY AFTER Halloween, Bekah demanded to be taken to preschool. It broke her heart when I told her that not only would her preschool not begin for a few more weeks, but that it was also Sunday and she would never go to preschool on a Sunday.
But the day finally came. Bekah carefully picked out her clothing for the day ("I want to wear something nice."), insisting that she wear "nice socks" (I'm not sure which socks of hers are not nice ... they're SOCKS for Pete's sake!), and her nice shoes (she rejected the sneakers that I suggested she wear). Here is the "before" shot:
We drove to Bonneville, parked in the faculty lot, and walked up to the building. Second hour was just letting out, so we had to wade through a sea of highschoolers to get to the right room. (Tomorrow, we'll take the door that leads directly to the room. Who knew that was there?) Ana held onto my hand. Bekah hugged my leg. Somehow we made it.
Bekah was happy to meet Mrs. Child, and to find that her coat would have a home.
Bekah was happy to meet Mrs. Child, and to find that her coat would have a home.
Then Ana and I left, and I must admit, it felt mighty weird to go shopping without two little girls to argue over the Crystal Light containers.
At noon, we went back to pick up our little preschooler. She reported that "everything was so much fun!" Since today's theme was "cars," she got to play with cars, wear a nametag with a car on it, color a picture of a car, read a book about cars, and make and eat a snack shaped like a car.
Bekah's super-excited for tomorrow, when the day's theme will be "colors." I'm sure we'll get to hear all about it.
At noon, we went back to pick up our little preschooler. She reported that "everything was so much fun!" Since today's theme was "cars," she got to play with cars, wear a nametag with a car on it, color a picture of a car, read a book about cars, and make and eat a snack shaped like a car.
Bekah's super-excited for tomorrow, when the day's theme will be "colors." I'm sure we'll get to hear all about it.