The younger dancers all participated in a Peter Pan set. Ana's class dressed up as Captain Hooks and danced to "Tick Tock Crocodile.
Analee waiting with her class for their turn on the stage during the dress rehearsal Saturday morning.
Ana got to lead her class out onto the stage at the beginning of the number.
Check out the elaborate costumes. Those hats, albeit cute, were quite a nuisance. They shaded the girls' faces so it was hard to see them, and Ana's kept threatening to pop off her head.
Ana was so busy concentrating on her dance (which she knew VERY well), that she forgot to smile most of the time. This is, I think, the ONE time she smiled during the entire dress rehearsal and recital.
And the elaborate set. Ana was delighted when she found out that she got to be a part of the group that climbed on the boat and saluted at the end of the song.
Rebekah, being in the older class, got to participate in two songs: "Funky Monkey" from Rio, a hip hop routine, and "Turned to Stone," a lyrical.
Rebekah during "Funky Monkey."
Can you tell she spotted her photographer mom?
She's got the smiling thing down.
Perhaps my favorite image of the whole bunch. Very dramatic.
Her lyrical piece.
The hip hop costume is hers to keep, but they rented these.
Bekah said it was very difficult to walk down the stairs to go below the stage in the long skirts.
If you've followed the links above and read about Bekah's past recitals, you'll know that I've had issues with her class' past hair assignments. Yes, hair ASSIGNMENTS. I can't just make sure her hair is pulled away from her face, I have to do her hair a specific way. Her first year, I had to make it curly and pull the sides up. That was tricky because her hair doesn't hold curl very well. The next year, I had to put her hair in two braids. That was hard because I hadn't learned to French braid very well. This year, we were assigned to do a "diagonal part over left eye/flat-ironed side pony tail, right ear." Wha-huh? With Rebekah's chin-length bob, I figured a side pony was totally out of the question. Her teacher just told her to do the part the way they wanted us to and make it stay out of her face. My solution, tons of pomade and hairspray and bobby pins.
(Analee's class, by the way, was supposed to have their hair curly with the sides pulled up ... a cinch since she has naturally curly hair anyway.)
Long story short: We're very proud of our girls, the hard work they put into their dances, and their performances on stage. They both did a super job.
Analee and Rebekah in their costumes before going to the auditorium for their recital.
To see more pictures, click here.












