2022-10-03

Softball

 Summer means softball! It was, yet again, a family affair. Grandpa Scott and I coached Miriam's team, and Rebekah and Ana helped whenever they were available. It was a rough season for a couple of reasons: (1) We had, at various points in the registration process, eight girls who said they would be on the team, then decided against it for whatever reason. So finding enough players for a whole team was troublesome and drawn-out, but eventually we ended up with enough. (2) Miriam's bunions. 

Oh, boy. We knew she had them. We knew they hurt her. We hoped that she could make it through the season despite them. I guess we did, but she also ended up with a cortisone shot in each foot, a lot of ibuprofen and Tylenol in her system throughout the season, and a date set for a bunionectomy. We also had to limit the number of innings she played ... especially as catcher. Think about all the pressure you put on the balls of your feet when you squat down. Poor Miriam had to deal with that all. season. long.

Regardless, it was a good season full of fun and development.

Rebekah basking in the sun after a practice at Discovery Elementary.
Miriam stretching for the catch at first.

Pitching. Miriam had the best pitching average of any of the pitchers on our team, so she (and our second best) got to pitch during the tournament.

Playing third base.

Apparently I take base coaching very seriously.

Dad and I at the dugout. Our team name this year was "Screaming Goats," but as a money saver they didn't get names printed on the back of our jerseys.

Miriam as catcher.

Coach selfie I sent to Rebekah and Ana while they were traveling to Europe.