Miriam learned all about overrunning first base, fielding the ball, playing a base and hustling. She picked our team name (Stormtroopers), which I adored. I got to coach a daughter, a nephew and a bunch of neighbors.
Miriam at bat.
Miriam (and her tongue) running to first.
Fielding the ball at rover.
I assume she can see where she's going.
Cheering for the other team. See my hat? I was destined to coach this team! (I've had that hat since I was a teenager.)
Analee played on the Firecrackers with Karen Tolman and Rachel Bird as her official coaches, and Barbara Bird as the organizer/scheduler/lineup maker. Ana learned that taking a grounder to the gut is an effective (yet painful) way to stop the ball. She also worked on her batting, fielding and throwing. Her team took fourth place in the tournament.
Playing pitcher.
Ready for the throw at first.
Luckily, Rebekah's hunter's orange sweatshirt was the perfect color for Analee's games.
As was Rebekah's hunter's orange hat.
Chasing a grounder.
Throwing from shortstop.
Batting and leaping onto home.
Rebekah played modified fast pitch with the Pink Angels. Her coach was Kris Whitehead, who accepted the position when several girls who signed up as independents didn't have a coach. Kris graciously volunteered as head coach, and many parents volunteered to help at practice, in the dugout and as base coaches. Rebekah learned that she's good at catching pop flies (she caught four flies and one line drive) and stealing home (she got out once at home, but many people contended it was a bad call). Her team caused a major upset at the tournament by beating the top seeded team. They took third place.
Getting ready to catch a fly ball.
She got it!
This kid had the best attitude all season long--whether they were winning or losing.
Catching the ball at first to get the out.
Running to third.
Andrea coach pitching at one of Bekah's games. If the other team's pitcher threw four balls to a batter, a coach pitch from the other team got to step in and pitch any remaining strikes the batter had. At past games, other (better) pitchers took care of it for our team. I attempted to step in as pitcher at a few games, but my pitches were not reliable. Gratefully, Grandpa Scott agreed to help with several games toward the end of the season, and many more girls got on base.
Anticipating the bounce.
Throwing to first.
Seriously! This kid is so scrappy!
To see more pictures of baseball/softball, start here.




















