2012-04-27

80's flashback

When Seth and I were invited to an 80's themed surprise birthday party, I decided we were going to go all out. I did all sorts of research to find out how to transform myself. (Yes, I was born in the 80s, but I wasn't old enough to wear makeup, buy my own clothes, wear earrings or style my own hair before the decade was gone, so I wanted to make sure I could do something authentic.) Bright colors? Check! (Thank you, D.I.) Bright makeup? Check! (Thank you, big sister). Big earrings? Check! (Thank you Fred Meyer clearance sale.) Big hair? Check! (Thanks, gallon of hairspray, triple-barrel curling iron and comb for ratting.)

Don't click on this to see the larger version unless you want to have nightmares tonight. Yes, that is blue glitter on my eyelids.

Seth was a harder case. What did guys wear in the 80s? We found a vintage-y looking shirt. Did my brothers wear something similar back in the day? And what can do you to hair that's been recently buzz-cut? Our solution:

That's right, peeps. Seth sported a mohawk.

It's a shame he couldn't wear some of his honkin' big glasses from the 80s.

In this state, we went to the party. Unfortunately, of the 14 people who came, we were the only ones who altered our looks to fit the theme. Even the hostess forgot to dress up.

Rather than crawling into a hole, I toughed it out during dinner and then utilized a comb and a wet wipe to try and transform myself into something more normal looking while we traveled from the birthday boy's home to go play dodgeball at a gym full of trampolines.

So if I show up at a costume party in my normal attire, you'll know that I chickened out because of my, like, totally bogus prior experience.