I was sure it was a skunk.
Bekah had come running inside to report that a strange animal was in our front yard. "I've never seen it before!" she exclaimed. She reported that it was black and white with yellow eyes.
I don't know if it's just the season for skunks or what, but I've seen many squashed specimens on the roadside as of late. And the other day when I was walking Bekah to the bus stop, I smelled the very distinct aroma of the Mephitis mephitis.
We live in a rural area. Our yard borders two fields. We once had a skunk die in our yard (another story for another time). It wouldn't be unheard of to have one of those stinkers slinking about.
So I told the girls to stay inside while I checked out our visitor. I cautiously approached the front corner of our yard. If it was, in fact, a skunk, the last thing I wanted to do was startle it.
Instead of the beady eyes and white stripe I expected to encounter, I saw a fuzzy little black kitten with white spots and, yes, yellow eyes.
As much as I dislike cats, I must say I was relieved. And I didn't feel the least bit worried as I sent the girls out to chase it away.