2024-04-17

Skiing

 A little bit of cross-country, a little bit of downhill.

CC at Teton Lakes: Monday, January 15

The kids had a day off of school, so I invited all interested parties to come with me to Teton Lakes. Winnie was the only taker. It was COLD that day, so we did an abbreviated loop

Winnie managed to fall on this flat stretch of trail, so I commemorated it.

Downhill at Grand Targhee: Monday, February 19

We knew we wanted to take everyone downhill skiing at least once this season, so we looked at all our calendars and determined that President's Day was the one day everyone was available. We shelled out the dough for lift tickets (Winnie was able to get the Idaho Ski Passport one last time as a 6th grader) and spent the day skiing. Poor Rebekah and Miriam didn't last too long; their feet hurt so badly they skied for maybe a half day. After lunch I borrowed Rebekah's lift pass (I had planned to only ski from the Shoshone lift, so I had that limited pass) so I could do the Teton Traverse with Ana. It was so windy and cold on top that once was enough.

Winnie, Ana, Andrea and Miriam riding the Shoshone lift.

Seth, Rebekah, Andrea and Miriam on the lift.

Eating our picnic lunch.

Winnie resting in the back of the truck after a full day of skiing.

Downhill at Kelly Canyon: Tuesday, February 27

Kent was in town for a BYU-Idaho alumni jazz band gig, so Seth went night skiing at Kelly's with his parents, sister and brother. 

A snowy-bearded Seth at Kelly's.

CC at Harriman: Thursday, February 29

It was killing me that I had cross-country skied only once and it was nearing the end of the snow season, so I took the opportunity to go solo skiing at Harriman on a day when I didn't have anything scheduled. The trails weren't great; it had been a while since it had snowed, and the wind had blown over the tracks in several places. I still managed to enjoy the little bit of sunshine that peeked through the clouds at one point and the swans that glided along the river. 

Andrea with swans in the background.

CC at Harriman: Saturday, March 16

Ana felt the need to go to Harriman once in the season as well (I offered to excuse her from classes so she could come with me in February, but the crazy kid said she needed to stay for school), so we used a Saturday to go back to Island Park. This time we skied up to Golden Lake and back.

Ana and her cool shades. When the wind wasn't blowing, it was beautiful, sunny and warm.

Downhill at Kelly Canyon: Tuesday, March 19

Rachel talked us into getting season passes at Kelly's for next year. Included in that deal was the opportunity to ski for the rest of this season for free. During the girls' spring break, I took Winnie and Miriam up to the ski hill. Miriam last for a couple of runs before her feet complained too loudly. She sat on a bench outside the lodge and read mangas/listened to podcasts.

Winnie with her newly retrieved ski pass. It fell while we were riding the lift when she was pulling something else out of her pocket. She remembered exactly where it landed and was able to ski right to it and pick it up.

Wihnie recovering from walking back up a hill in ski boots after we went down the wrong way on a traverse that was new to us.

Proof that Miriam was there too.

The gross, ugly parking lot after our ski day.