2022-06-16

Elementary school end-of-the-year events

4th grade rockets: Monday, May 23

Winnie didn't catch hers either time (I think the smaller rockets that the 4th graders have are harder to catch), but she had a grand time launching and chasing after her rocket.

Watching her classmates' rockets launch and waiting in line for her turn.

All four of these kids did this little excited hoppy thing after placing their rockets on the launcher.

Liftoff!

Chasing.

6th grade track meet: Monday, May 23

After watching Winnie's two launches and running inside to see Ana perform with the ballroom team for the Fairview students (see earlier post), I drove over to Thunder Stadium at Bonneville High School, saw that no one was there, rechecked the flyer and then drove to Thunder RIDGE Stadium at Thunder Ridge High School (seriously ... how is Thunder Stadium still the name of the stadium at BHS when we have a Thunder Ridge in the same district?!?) to see Miriam run the 200 and participate in the softball throw. She didn't place in either event, but I brimmed with pride because (1) she did her best and (2) a mother told me that Miriam had been cheering on all her classmates and checking in on them to make sure they were doing well. I responded to her compliment by telling her that Miriam has a big heart, and she readily agreed.

Running the 200.

Sitting with her classmates to receive instructions for the softball throw.

Throwing the ball.

6th grade rockets: Thursday, May 26

Miriam caught her rocket after both launches and had a grand time with the whole event.

Miriam smiles at the 4th graders who had been calling out her name from behind the backstop.

Liftoff!

Patting the head of her friend's baby sister.

Catching after her second launch.

Giving Winnie a hug and a kiss before heading back with her classmates. I'm going to miss having those two in the same school together.

AR assembly and field day: Thursday, June 2

I got to see Winnie and Miriam (and a bunch of other kids) acknowledged during the Accelerated Reading assembly, then volunteered at field day.

Winnie in the 200 point club.

Miriam in the 1300 point club.

Miriam headed back to sit with her class after receiving a candy bar for earning the most AR points in her classs.

Winnie sitting her her class during the assembly.

Miriam hula hooping at the field day obstacle course. I helped with nine square during the 5th and 6th grade portion of field day, but someone else took over for the 3rd and 4th grade portion, so I helped a little with kickball and got plates of whipped cream ready for the kids to smash in the principal's face because the school met their fundraising goal.

Winnie running through a hula hoop during the obstacle course.

Field day selfie after someone took over the nine square.

Miriam and her classmates play tug-of-war against the other 6th grade class. The other class ended up winning.

Miriam and her friends getting sprayed by the fire truck.

Winnie getting sprayed.

Ringing the bell: Friday, June 3

After seven years of being a Falcon, Miriam graduated from Fairview and got a turn to ring the bell in front of the school. Then she made sure to say goodbye and hug all her former teachers (some have moved on, so she didn't get to hug them) and get every single staff member she could find to sign her yearbook.

Miriam rings the bell.

Miriam gives fives to all the students lining the path for the 6th graders.

Miriam hugs Mrs Jenkins as she goes down the line.

Miriam hugs her teacher, Ms. Moore. Miriam had hoped to get Miss Johnson for 6th grade (everyone wants Miss Johnson because she's loads of fun), but I assured her that she would love Ms. Moore just as much. And I was right. I had confidence in Ms. Moore because Rebekah also had her for 6th grade, and she loved her.

Miriam posing with several of her classmates after the bell ringing.