2021-07-20

Softball

Back in April when I contacted last year's softball team to see if we would have any returning players, I quickly found out that everyone had other plans. Everyone except my daughter and one other player. So I turned to Facebook and recruited players without teams. It was fun getting to know everyone, and it was great to give these girls an opportunity to play modified fast pitch.

Grandpa Scott, Bekah and Ana all helped with coaching again. Bekah was our coach pitcher for every game except the tournament (she had a band leadership camp that day). Ana kept stats at all the games. 

Miriam played pitcher (she pitched more strikes than anyone else this season), catcher, shortstop and right field. 

Winnie was a good sport to tag along. 

Our team only won one game the whole season, but each of the girls grew and improved. We were very happy at our progress.


The dugout crew. Bekah, Andrea, Ana and Grandpa Scott. (And Kennley who was sitting out that inning.)

Miriam, Ana, Bekah and Winnie enjoying a post-game snow cone.

Miriam backing up the throw to first base.

Andrea coaching first base.

Miriam at bat.

Miriam pitching.

Miriam pitching.

Miriam jumping, stretching, blocking and generally getting her mitt on the ball. She's an animal. 


At our end-of-season party, Miriam earned the "Elastigirl award" for playing catcher. I didn't even have to come up with the name because someone else did it for me. After one of our games, a mother of a player on the other team asked if that was my daughter who had been playing catcher. I told her it was, and she said, "She's amazing! She's like Elastigirl!" Despite her trepidations at playing the position last year, she has definitely proved that she's got what it takes to play it.