2014-04-18

Rebekah meets Brandon Mull

Our kids love books. Winnie brings me board books and sits down in my lap so I'll read them to her. Miriam looks forward to our weekly trip to the public library and story time. Analee can often be found in her top bunk with her nose buried in a book. Rebekah complains that we only let her read for half an hour before lights out at night.

So when I found out that Brandon Mull would be signing book at Barnes and Noble during spring break, I asked Rebekah if she'd like to go. Rebekah has read the entire Fablehaven series, has listened to/read the Candy Shop Wars about 20 times, and started the Beyonders series. (She is about halfway through the last book now.) So she thought that sounded like fun.

When Grandma Scott heard we'd be meeting Brandon Mull, she told us that he was presenting an assembly at the school where she teaches third grade earlier that day and asked if we'd like to come. Rebekah was gung-ho, so I took four little girls ages 18 months through 8 years to another elementary school during our spring break.

That evening, we all drove to the mall and Seth carted the younger girls around while Rebekah and I stood in line to meet the author face-to-face.

 Holding a couple of her Fablehaven books and her Kindle.

After we reached the front of the line, Brandon asked her which of his books she's read. Then he asked her how old she is. Then he asked me if she had read them by herself. (They're all pretty long books--like 400+ pages long--but I assured him that she has, in fact, read them by herself.)

Rebekah showed him her Brandon Mull library on her Kindle. I asked if he wouldn't mind signing the inside of her Kindle cover. He happily obliged.

Rebekah with Brandon Mull.

Rebekah came home from the experience super-excited to finish the Beyonders series and with a couple new signatures in her books.