2013-08-09

Egbert reunion

For this year's annual Egbert reunion, I had the honor of taking Grandpa Wirkus. Usually that falls to my parents, but when they called my mom to be an assistant camp director, they had already scheduled camp over the date of the reunion. So I took a van-load of people (our four little ones, plus Aunt Jessica and Grandpa Wirkus) to Tetonia. (Seth stayed home to tame our jungle ... er, lawn.)

Gwendolen had a good time crawling all around the picnic pavilion. Several distant cousins plucked her up from the ground and held her. In the background, Grandpa Wirkus is visiting with his brother- and sister-in-law, Bill and Verna.

Because this reunion is for the descendants of Hyrum and Annie Egbert (my great, great-grandparents), we all have to wear name tags because we're sometimes distantly related. Miriam told me she was going to take hers on her chest and put it on her tummy. I didn't realize she meant on her bare tummy.

These two are so cute together. 

Rebekah and Analee made friends with Annie. After playing in the hammock for a long time, they decided to show off their baby sister.

Egbert reunion funny story:

We have our reunion at the Mountain View Lodge. Behind the lodge, there was a corral with three horses in it, one of them albino. Bekah and Ana were having a good time naming the horses and feeding them grass. "Lightning" had a lighter streak on its forelock, hence its name. "Roan-eo" was named because "I think it's a roan," Bekah said. (I gave her extra points for incorporating Shakespeare.) The third, the albino, was "Snow White."

After the girls came back over to the dining pavilion, Bekah glanced at the corral and said, "Oh, no! Snow White is lying down! Let's go check on her."

She and Ana ran back over. I followed at a slower pace.

The girls were relieved when Snow White seemed okay. "We think she was lying down because she's pregnant," said Ana.

I took a closer look at the albino horse.

"No, I'm pretty sure she's not pregnant," I said.

"How can you tell?" Ana asked.

"Snow White is a boy," I said.

Believe me when I say the girls' reactions were priceless.


To see more Egbert reunion pictures, start here.