2012-12-03

Dirty kid

Remember that time before we had four girls? This story takes place then.

One Saturday (September 29, to be exact), Rebekah and Analee were in Island Park with Grandma Susan and Grandpa Dennis. We had kept Miriam at home because she was still on antibiotics for her double ear infection. We were hoping the baby would be making her grand entrance any day, but because she was still safely tucked in my womb and I had a beautiful new bike to try out, we decided to hook the trailer to Seth's bike and go to the greenbelt.

We started in Freeman Park, admired the falling leaves as we went around the whole loop, and took the bridge that connects the park with the main part of the greenbelt. After going along Memorial Drive, we crossed Broadway and continued north on the trail. As we neared Pancheri, we could see that the paved path was overrun by water from the sprinklers.

Not wanting our lovely ride to end, we plowed through the water until the path was dry again. Then we heard a feeble, "I dirty!"

While following Seth through the water, I had noticed the muddy water splashing from his back tire up on the back of his shirt. I had not even stopped to think about what that tire and the runoff was doing to our 2-year-old.

We rode a little farther to the pier at Snake River Landing, and then I put the wipes in my bike basket to good use.

 Poor sodden Miri.

Getting cleaned up.

Seth and I awarded ourselves the Parents of the Year award, then took another route home to avoid the muddy path altogether.