2012-09-24

30 and spoiled

So what's it like being 30? It feels about the same as being 29 years and 364 days old.

That's what I told Seth when he asked me Saturday. As if he needs to ask somebody; he's been 30 for 3.5 months (and I never let him forget that he's older than I).

Even though I don't think the world needs to revolve around me on my day of birth, my family sure helped me feel like it did.

My day started out with a luxurious extra half an hour of sleep, courtesy of Seth locking our bedroom door when he got up to run interference with the girls. He asked me what I wanted for breakfast (I deferred to the girls, who wanted eggs). We worked together to do the Saturday housework (chores wait for no man ... or woman turning 30). Then we went to my brother's place of employment to do my birthday shopping.

Seth had spilled the beans a few days before to let me know that he would be buying me a bike for my birthday. Now, most of the bikes I've had in my life have been hand-me-downs: the monster blue trike, the blue banana-seat I dubbed "Blue Velvet," the purple and green mountain bike my dad bought at a police auction. The one exception was the mountain bike I received for Christmas when I was 12. It was my first bike with multiple speeds, it was shiny blue, it was brand new, and it was mine. Unfortunately, the kick stand didn't support the bike in the snow, and the day after Christmas I found that the seat and grips had been chewed off/up by our miniature schnauzer.

I've loved all my bikes, but I was giddy with excitement as we drove to Bill's Bike Shop so I could look at/test drive bikes.

Honestly, I don't know a thing about bikes. Tyson and Seth patiently explained some bike tips to me. I got to heft my 38-week-pregnant-self up onto at least five bikes to peddle them around 8th Street all while having monster contractions. In the end, I chose the first one I had ridden: a lavender comfort bike with a step-through frame.

My parents gave Tyson some money so I could accessorize my bike. I rolled it out of the shop with a shiny new kick stand, a water bottle holder and a basket on the front. (It's stinkin' adorable!)

We took my bike out on an inaugural family bike ride yesterday evening. Seth was a little worried because he had taken me on quite a long bike ride (our apartment in Iona to Bonneville High School) when I was super-prego with Bekah, and it was torturous. The already-too-small-for-me frame on my old bike compounded the whole huge-belly thing, and I had to peddle with my knees sticking way out. My back hurt. I felt scrunched.

But with this new bike, I got to sit upright. My legs straightened out as I peddled. I wasn't hunched or scrunched. Our five-mile loop was a breeze. And the fanny pack Bekah had brought and then decided not to wear sat nicely in the silver basket.

In addition to my beautiful new ride, Seth took the girls out to pick out a few cute little gifts for me: two different shades of purple nail polish, an inexpensive watch to wear while we get my super nice one repaired (note to self: never leave your expensive watch on the bathroom counter, or your 5-year-old will snatch it and suck on the face while watching TV), and some headbands from the dollar store that Ana was sure I'd love. The big girls also gave me homemade cards with lots of hearts and smooches on them.

My cute little family sang "Happy Birthday" to me and helped blow out the candles on the caramel apple cheesecake Ana helped me make. (Miriam didn't wait until the count of three and had most of the candles out before the rest of us puffed.) My sister watched the girls while Seth and I went on a date. Seth treated me to a movie (The Bourne Legacy) and dinner (Carino's). The only one who didn't want to celebrate my birthday with me was Gwendolen, who has decided to wait until closer to my actual due date before being born.

I feel extremely blessed to have had such a wonderful 30 years already. I can only hope that the next 30 bring as much happiness and joy.