2012-06-06

Ostrich

As Miriam gets older and starts to assert her independence, she has taken on some new habits. The most obvious one is her tendency to cover her eyes with her fists. This is sometimes accompanied by her curling up in a ball on the floor. It doesn't matter where she is, if she feels like she's been wronged, she'll assume her "I don't like this and I'm not taking part in this" position. At Target. Outside the Civic Auditorium. At Grandpa Wirkus' house.

I guess she thinks that if she can't see you, you can't see her, like the proverbial ostrich with its head in the sand.

The other day, she took this to a whole new level. I don't remember what set her off, but when everybody else was sitting up at the table ready to eat dinner, Miriam was pouting in her usual way.

However, the 2-year-old was still hungry, so she compromised her feelings of hunger and letting us know she was still upset.

She ate with her eyes closed.

I kid you not (and no, I don't have pictures to back me up), this kid felt around on her plate for every bite of blueberry pancakes and eggs. When she couldn't feel anything left, she asked for more. When I asked her which kind of syrup she wanted (the regular maple or a fantastic new recipe for buttermilk caramel syrup that I found on Pinterest), she reached out her hands, felt both bottles, and identified the one she wanted by touch.

I hope she grows out of this phase soon, because if she doesn't, we might want to enroll her in some braille-reading classes.