2012-05-02

Curiosity drenched the cat

Yesterday evening, I thought my toddler was dying.

You may think I'm exaggerating. But if you had been here and heard her blood-curdling scream, you would have thought the same thing.

Seth had started the water in the tub so Miriam could take a bath ... one of her absolute most favorite things to do. She was happily sitting in the tub playing with an Ariel while I was downstairs tidying up the books and toys that seem to congregate in the middle of the living room floor throughout the day.

That's when I heard the most ear-splitting, paralyzing scream I've ever heard from my 2-year-old.

In the two seconds it takes to bound up the stairs, my mind raced. Had the water turned boiling hot? (Don't worry ... our water heater is set at a safe 110 degrees.) Had she gotten a hold of my razor? (Which is a foot or two out of her reach.)

Gratefully, Seth made it to the bathroom a split-second before me and solved the problem that turned our sweet daughter into a terrified banshee.

He disengaged the shower that Miriam had started when she, out of sheer curiosity, had played with the shower pull on the tub spout.

I'm happy to report that despite her soggy, drippy head, she was a little scared, but otherwise fine.