My kid is smart. I mean, she's halfway through kindergarten, and she has already earned 9.7 AR points. Her teacher tells me that she's pleased that Bekah still enjoys school because she already knows everything that they're working on right now.
So how come she's not smart enough to survive the winter?
Here's the story:
Today the doorbell rang right after 3 p.m. just like it does every day. Only, instead of finding a cheerful little girl excited to be home from her day of kindergarten, I found a poor little girl with tears running down her cheeks.
"What's wrong?!" I asked, alarmed.
"I'm cold!" she whimpered.
Of course she was cold. It's currently 4 degrees outside. No, I didn't skip a digit. It's F-O-U-R degrees outside! But she was a heck of a lot colder than she could/should have been. Because her coat wasn't zipped up. And her hood wasn't up. And her mittens were nowhere to be seen. And in her hand, she held a shiny, red apple. A juicy, shiny, red apple. With its liquid contents seeping over her bare little hand.
So I rushed her inside. And I made her stand next to the fireplace. And I tried to assess how cold she really was. When she told me that her fingers hurt and screamed when I touched them, I immediately ran downstairs to ask my good friend, webmd.com, just how bad the situation was. I looked up "frostbite symptoms" and "how to treat frostbite" as quickly as possible. And I made her put her hand in a pitcher of warm water.
I'm happy to report that she's now fine. Her fingers warmed up and stopped hurting. She's even using them again.
I just hope my genius child can remember her mittens and keep her fingers long enough to ace her future spelling tests.