2010-01-21

Before AND after pictures

It's been seven months since my infamous oral surgery. I've been lax in getting the before and after pictures up. So without further ado, here they are:

Before--I show mucho gum when smiling. Now it's all teeth ... and braces.


Before--my lips wouldn't close over my teeth unless I utilized some facial muscles. Now they close naturally over my teeth. This means that I can breathe through my nose all night because my lips don't fall open when I'm relaxed any more.


Before--my natural bite left an opening wide enough for me to shove the end of my thumb through. Now it's nice and tight.


It's amazing to me what modern medicine can do. And I don't think I can thank our health insurance enough for deciding to cover these procedures. Back in the day when we first learned about my situation and tried to get my parents' insurance to cover the surgery, they turned us down because they deemed it "cosmetic."

It's obvious that I look different now post-surgery, but isn't it also obvious that having such a drastic change could affect more than my looks? YA THINK?! The other day, I actually chewed a piece of gum (don't tell my orthodontist) for more than five minutes and didn't have to take ibuprofen afterward for my aching jaw.

Huzzah!