2009-09-25

get off my lawn, you darned kids

Last night Andrea and I went up to BYU-I to see a performance for our date in honor of her birthday.

We approached the woman in the ticket booth and I told her, "We bought our tickets online."

She asked for my name, and I told her.

She then asked me, "Are you employed full-time on campus?"

"Um, no."

"Are you a student?"

"No."

Then she found and handed me our tickets. However, as we got to our seats, I realized: she asked me if I was a full-time employee, then asked me if I were a student.

Wait, what? Slow down, there, bald eagle! Do I look that old? Have I let myself go that much? I may not have the old girlish figure I used to, and I may have thinned out a little bit in the hair department, but I wouldn't say it's an impossible stretch for her to first assume I could possibly still be a college student rather than asking me if I'm a full-time employee, or if I'm the father of a student or if I just wandered over here from Shady Pines Olde Folks' Home And Coffintoreum or something like that.

Sigh. I guess I'll just have to accept that I'm not as young as I was. Now, excuse me while I go chase these darned kids off my lawn. I need to hurry, too. I think Lawrence Welk is on.