2009-08-08

SRRYJ

No, I didn't sneeze while typing the title of this post. For those non-I.F.-event-savvy people, SRRYJ stands for the Snake River Roaring Youth Jam. I found out about this totally free and fun event last year, so when I saw the announcement in the paper last week, I knew we had to make a morning of it.

One of the first booths we came to is the Junk Jam. They have all sorts of ... well, junk (e.g. bumpers, barrels, buckets, hubcaps) and plenty of spoons and let the kids bang away.

Ana couldn't keep her eyes open because of the ... noise? Seriously, I don't understand it, but it's the truth. She blinked every time she banged that drum.

Ana and Bekah at the Junk Jam.

I had heard that you dress for mess when it comes to the Youth Jam, and Bekah proved that point last August when she came home with paint from head to toe. So I put the girls in their old clothes and let them go to town when it came to the painting booths.

Bekah painting a black smiley and eyes on a giant duck.

Bekah with her pink paint; Ana with her red paint.

The girls' favorite booth is the Xtreme Xylophone. It's a 500-foot long xylophone that kids can paint, sprinkle with glitter, and play with giant mallets. They spent an entire 30 minutes at that thing.

Bekah spreading glitter on the keys that Ana is trying to play.

Bekah showing off her blue paint.

The girls working side-by-side.

Ana's turn with the glitter.

The girls had a blast, and we all went home happy and tired. Some were worse for wear ...

Ana's "battle wounds."

... while others were more unscathed (less scathed?)

At least her face stayed pretty clean.

But you can definitely believe that the first order of business upon our return home was a good scrub down.