2009-01-29

walking in a (wet) winter wonderland

Last Saturday morning the girls woke up around 6:45, so I decided to quietly take them downstairs and play with them for an hour or so longer so Andrea could sleep in a little. They were playing with blocks so I decided to check Craigslist. Lo, and behold, someone had posted Guitar Hero 3: Legends of Rock for the Wii a mere 6 hours earlier (who posts to craigslist at 1 AM?). For the non-Wii savvy, that's half what you'd pay new. I contacted him and decided we'd be making a trip to Rexburg that day.

The kids had wanted to go "sledding" for a while, so we decided to make a day of it. We packed up all the snow clothes, the diaper bag, the snacks, the laptop for watching a movie on the van ride up to Rexburg, etc. (you have to take a lot of stuff when you take kids anywhere) and drove up to Rexburg. We picked up our loot (it's so fun, by the way) and then drove over to Smith park. Smith park in Rexburg is the site of many of my fondest childhood memories, since my grandparents' house is just a block or so away.

Anyway, it's still as good for sledding as ever. We actually only spent about 15 minutes doing actual sledding, and the rest of the time playing and exploring the snowy park. The girls settled on the playground equipment, which, thanks to the wet, wet snow, was very slippery, which only added to their fun.

Afterwards we stopped at the D.I. (yes, we are regular D.I. shoppers, and Rexburg's is always way better than I.F.'s) ate at Wendy's (health food, I know) where Ana and Bekah got "Tale of Despereaux" toys with their kids meal, then drove home. What a day!

Here are some pictures and a video from our event.


Andrea looking chic in her winter attire.

Ana after a run down the twisty slide.

Bekah slipping and sliding on the bridge.

Ana zooms down the slide again.

The slides were so wet and slick that you'd shoot right off the end when you reached the bottom.

Frosty, thesnowman we built. Bark for eyes, sticks for arms, pine cones for a nose and mouth. Bekah gave up her hat and gloves.

The girls pose with the snowman.




When we were all done I was trying to teach Bekah how to tackle our snowman. She didn't quite get it, so she said I could. I'm pretty sure they're going to be giving me a call to play in the Super Bowl this Sunday, but I think I'll say no, it being the Lord's day and all.