2008-09-24

Just play the song, Schneebly!

In high school I probably wrote twenty-some-odd songs. In college I wrote two. Since I've been home from my mission, I hadn't written a single one. I'm not exactly sure why. Maybe it was all those angsty adolescent hormones, or the way teenagers see the world as a black-and-white exaggeration of the way it really is. Maybe it's just that I don't make the time to play like I used to. Whatever the reason, I have not been as prolific of late.

But over the last year I've had a song kicking around inside my head. I've thought about for nearly a year, but I never got to the point where I felt satisfied with the lyrics. Anyway, last week it finally came together for me. The song is done! It's such a satisfying feeling to have written something I can feel artistically proud of after such a dry spell.

So, I thought I'd share it with the world. If you feel so inclined to listen, I'd love to hear your thoughts. At some point I'll probably go about actually recording, editing, and mixing it into a somewhat more refined product (I've got some ambitions in my head I'm not exactly sure how to fulfill, strings and drums and such) but this will do for now.



For the lyrically inquisitive:

"Rainsong"
Seth Grover

Dry, I'm dry like the season
And so I wander from reason to reason
But when I look up, when I lift my eyes
It burns my face when all I see is a blood-red sky

Sometimes I feel like a piece of paper
On which someone scrawled my name
But it's not just that, it's not just my name
'Cause when you fold it in half, I'm my own best friend
I'm my own best friend

(chorus)
So rain down on me
And let me soak you in
And baby, with your clear running love,
Take the dust from my skin
I need your love
I need it like the rain
I need it like the earth needs water
Again and again

Maybe now things will be a little bit easier
Maybe now I can finally be myself
But that's a hard sell, and I'm just not buying
You drew a line in the sand, but do I have what it takes
To leave myself behind?

(chorus)

(chorus)