2008-08-06

No touch-backs!

Jade tagged us. I've never done one of these before. To me, they've always sort of smacked of chain letters. But I suppose since people have to come here to read it instead of me force-feeding it to others, it's okay. Plus, I still sort of have this feeling that Jade is my editor, so I'd better do what she says.

The Rules:

  • Link the person(s) who tagged you.

  • Mention the rules on your blog.

  • Tell about 6 unspectacular quirks of yours.

  • Tag 6 fellow bloggers by linking them.

  • Leave a comment on each of the tagged blogger’s blogs letting them know they’ve been tagged.


Since Andrea and I were tagged jointly, and since we're both rather boring, we're each just going to do three.

Seth's quirks

  1. In order to protect my wife and children, I have to sleep with some sort of a weapon near my bedside. Also, I always have to sleep on the side of the bed closest to the door. At various points this weapon has been a lava lamp, a hatchet, a hunting knife, and, most recently, a hefty MagLite. There is also a revolver hidden in the room, responsibly not loaded and out of the reach of children, of course, along with 500 rounds of ammunition. I'm not sure exactly sure who will be attacking, but I'm determined he/she/it won't get through me without a fight.

  2. Occasionally I'll get on a kick where I will become obsessed with a particular song or album, and I will listen to it over and over and over, sometimes for weeks. The first time I can remember this happening was with Thick as a Brick, in its full forty-three minute glory. It has also happened with ManĂ¡, Led Zeppelin, and Neil Young. I once listened to Neil Young's Sixty To Zero/Crime In The City, on repeat, every day at work, all day, for a month. Each time I get stuck on something, I pick something different out. "Is that a harpsichord?" "Listen to that four-part harmony." "I love the way the guitars are layered on this track." I can also listen to myself and not get tired of it. Is that narcissistic?

  3. If I am eating Jello in a meal which also contains some sort of hot food, the Jello must be served on a separate plate, bowl, or cup. Otherwise, the hot foot will heat up the plate and melt the Jello, and that's just not cool.

Handing the keyboard over to Andrea now ...

Andrea's quirks

  1. Corn on the cob is MEANT to be eaten in a certain way. A very specific, certain way. Left to right, rotating the cob upwards after the completion of each set of rows. Each set must consist of three to four rows of kernels, so the eater must count out the number of rows remaining before commencing to eat the penultimate set of rows. Seriously. (interjection: yes, she actually does this - Seth)

  2. Grammar, punctuation, etc. But here's the thing: I'm an English teacher (on a 30-year sabbatical). AND I'm a journalism teacher (see above). Sorry, MLA style. AP style kicks your heiney. I absolutely cannot include that needless comma before "and" in a series. It's a crime against nature. And that ellipses above? I just added a space before the first dot. Because Seth did it wrong.

  3. When it's glaringly bright outside, I squint. Sounds normal enough, right? But I have a special take on the "run-of-the-mill squint" ... I have the "Popeye squint." It's always the right eye completely closed and the left eye partially open. There's been more than one occasion in which I've sent the pool boy mixed signals. Talk about awkward. We don't even OWN a pool.


Anyway, I guess that's about it. Seth tags Toni, Eric and Mariah, and Lindsay. Andrea tags Annie, Brooke, and Ethan.