2008-02-18

now you see it, now you see a lot less of it

For years I have been growing my hair out. It's taken me years because I have hair that grows at the rate of cold molasses going uphill. You get the idea.

However, I haven't been growing my hair out for my own satisfaction. In fact, it's been driving me crazy. I have, perhaps, the most tender head in the world. I used to cry when my mom combed my hair. So with long hair, I've been waking up in extreme pain in the middle of the night when I try to roll over but Seth's has set up camp on my long locks.

And long hair takes a TON of time to do in the morning! How do you long-haired people handle it?!? With two young children who have to be clothed, fed and groomed in the morning, lately I've resorted to washing my hair, letting it air-dry over the course of two hours, then pulling it up in a not-so-glamorous pony-tail. On occasion I would take the time needed to do my hair during the girls' afternoon naps, but only if Seth and I were going out that evening.
























Anyway, back to the "I haven't been growing my hair out for my own satisfaction" part. I decided a couple of years ago that I would grow my hair out in order to donate it to Locks of Love. They make wigs for underprivileged children suffering from hair loss due to medical problems.

Friday night I decided I could take it no longer, and my hair must surely meet the minimum of 10 inches, so I took the plunge.

You know, I always laughed at the girls on America's Next Top Model who bawled when they had their hair chopped off. I laughed mercilessly. But now I can commiserate with them.

No, I did not bawl. I didn't even tear up. But I must admit that--even though I had been planning this for years, even though I thought I had come to grips with the sudden loss of hair, even though I had spent weeks picking out the new short haircut I wanted--I got butterflies in my stomach when the hairdresser made those first snips. And then she placed my 13 inches of hair on the desk in front of me as she continued to cut and style my hair.















So here's the finished product. This is definitely the shortest I've ever had my hair ... especially in the back. It's a little chilly, but at least I can do my hair in less than 10 minutes--blowdrying time included.